- "Now, this thing is dangerous!"
- ―Aloy, upon picking up a Disc Launcher
Disc Launchers are heavy artillery weapons mounted on the backs of Thunderjaws, capable of doing immense blast damage. It is one of four weapons the player can obtain from machines.
How to obtain
Disc Launchers are normally seen in pairs on a Thunderjaw's back and serve as their heaviest weapon. One is mounted above each hip. Using weapons that deal tear damage will rip them off, causing them to fall to the ground, where they can be picked up and used against the Thunderjaw or other machines.
While still attached to its original owner, a Disc Launcher functions as laser-guided cluster artillery. However, severing it from the Thunderjaw's control disables its guidance functions, effectively rendering it a rocket launcher in Aloy's hands. The Disc Launcher has an 8-round magazine and fires explosive discs that travel in a flat trajectory for long distances but move at very low velocity, detonating on impact. Its highly damaging explosions are powerful enough to instantly destroy groups of humans and smaller machines, knock down medium-sized machines and stagger large machines, including Thunderjaws.
- Very high blast damage (second only to the Oseram Cannon).
- Staggers or knocks down anything it hits.
- Can tear off components and armor.
- Easily severed with a single Tearblast Arrow or Tearblaster Charge.
- Small magazine size, heavily punishing missed shots.
- Rounds travel very slowly, making swift or aerial targets difficult to hit.
- Like all pickup weapons, it slows Aloy down when carrying it.
- The original contraption that is mounted on the Thunderjaw is about twice the dropped weapon's size. Once it is severed and falls to the ground, it transforms into the dropped device.
- The severed Disc Launcher fires discs forward. The mounted Disc Launcher fires discs into the air that project targeting lasers downwards and then explode.
- The severed variant is reminiscent of the GDI Disc Thrower unit in the Command and Conquer games.
- Like the Ravager Cannon and the Scorcher's Mine Launcher, a severed Disc Launcher trails sparking cables, indicating an internal power source.
- Redmaw only has one of its Disc Launcher when Aloy and Talanah fight it. The other was presumably removed by Ahsis or another Hunter.
|Ranged Weapons||Blast Sling - Forgefire - Hunter Bow - Icerail - Rattler - Ropecaster - Sharpshot Bow - Sling - Stormslinger - Tearblaster - War Bow|
|Melee Weapons||Spear - Sylens' Lance|
|Stealth Weapons||Traps - Tripcaster|
|Heavy Weapons||Deathbringer Gun - Disc Launcher - Firespitter - Firestriker - Mine Launcher - Oseram Cannon - Ravager Cannon|